Wearing: Realisation Par Cher Top (shop similar styles here, here, here, and here), MSGM Fringe Jeans (old, but find alternatives here and here), Zara Shoes (old, but buy similar options here, here, and here), Crap Eyewear Cat Eye Sunglasses (find similar here), and an Urban Outfitters Basket Bag (shop similar here and here)
Shop the Look:
As you could see if you follow me via Instagram, I went to Milan some days ago to attend a Radiohead concert. I took the opportunity to wear something colorful to melt into the colorful streets of this Italian neighbourhood in the outside of the city and channel French style.
Granted, French girl style has that je ne sais quoi aesthetic that can be both feminine and relaxed, yet difficult to copy. How they manage to always look so effortlessly cool seems almost like a mystery. However, I’ve narrowed down 10 characteristics I’ve observed in many French girl outfits and hope they can help you channel their effortless vibe:
1. Incorporate your holiday clothes and accessories into everyday style. Bring the seaside look to the city and combine summer vacation clothes and accessories with all-year round basic staples, like, for instance, straight-leg cropped jeans. Wear basket bags, floral prints, feminine blouses, and summer dresses to emulate the gallic aesthetic.
2. Wear French girl style staples: Think straw bags, midi or long summer dresses with a wrap detail or v-neckline, a floral or timeless print, cat-eye sunglasses, Mary Jane pumps, espadrilles, red lipstick, straight leg cropped jeans (preferrably vintage Levi’s), feminine tops or blouses, button-down shirts, flat sandals, breton t-shirts, or a high-waisted mini skirt,
3. French girl don’t care: The French woman adopts a relaxed attitude towards life and this is reflected in their style. However, their style still manages to be elegant and with assurance, which lends them a natural sexyness. You can attempt to copy this by wearing your hair down and unbrushed, rolling up your sleeves, unbottoning your blouse or tie it, and you get my drift.
4. Dress in opposites. Combine feminity with a hint of boyish, or boyish with a hint of feminity. Examples: Wear flat shoes with flirty dresses, cropped jeans with ruffle blouses, or red lipstick with a simple white shirt.
5. Don’t wear a tight outfit. Balance is the key: Mix wide pants with a tighter top and viceversa.
6. Embrace the favorite French girl outfit formulas:
- Straight-leg cropped jeans + front-tie top + Mary Jane pumps + raffia bag.
- Plunge mini dress + lace-up espadrilles + white oval sunnies+ straw tote.
- Matching linen top + skirt set + statement earrings + mules + top-handle bag
7. Keep your palette neutral or with classic shades. Stick to basic colors like navy, white, and red or earth tones like tan and rust. Tip: Avoid wearing neon.
8. Wear only timeless patterns. Embrace prints like polka dots, gingham, and simple florals, instead of going for prints that can be associated with a certain time.
9. Fit is everything. Perfectly fitting jeans and immaculately tailored clothes are essential to achieve the French look.
10. Belt it. Highlighting the waist is a cornerstone of French girl style, so add a belt to your jeans, to your jackets, blazers, and coats.
These are my tips on how to nail French woman style. Do you also have any tips or observations I might have missed? Let me know in the comments below.
Follow me via Bloglovin'